Thursday, December 24, 2009

We wash our clothes all the time but often they have a stagnant smell in them, why? What can I do?

We hang them to dry, we hang them and dry them in the machine before they are dry, we put them directly in the dryer. We use fabric softener too!We wash our clothes all the time but often they have a stagnant smell in them, why? What can I do?
It's probably a combo of a couple of things. First, your washer might need a good cleaning out. What my appliance guru recommends is to take a dose of dishwasher detergent and wash some rags or old towels in hot water at least once a month. (It's easy for me because I have hubby's wood shop rags to deal with.) Borax would do the same thing.





After that do not leave the clothes in the washer, take them out immediately. Indoor drying does take a long time and can cause the problem also. What I do is to dry them in the dryer until about 1/2 dry, hang them up and turn on the small fan I keep in the laundry area to help circulate the air. And do not keep the lid/door closed on the machine all the time. That causes odors to build up from the enclosed, wet space. I always leave my washer door open when it's not in use.





We wash our clothes all the time but often they have a stagnant smell in them, why? What can I do?
Have you had the water checked? Are you on well water? If city water, maybe there are too many minerals in it, try using a water softening agent . Had similar problem once,it was the water. Also try different brand of soap, ingredients in soap could be reacting with the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment